



With XY on its last breath before ORAS comes out I've decided to archive the team I've used for much of the year. Well, sorta, since this team has gone through countless changes (due to my inability to build new teams) but after Worlds is when I decided to put in extra effort to perfect the team as much as I can because of the Premier Challenges we had this fall. This is the final product of the team, of sorts. I tweaked a couple things here and there throughout this fall but much of it remains the same.
I quite like the structure of the team, as Justin (Spurrific) and I were both able to reach the 1800s with it on Battle Spot doubles despite playing in a metagame this team wasn't designed to handle. It also won a Premier Challenge in the Seniors Division and I had some success with it in my own live tournaments, however, I still didn't do as well as I would have liked. I don't know if this is mainly due to my poor play, team issues, or the ultra competitive nature of Vancouver PCs (probably a combination of all of those), but of the seven PCs I attended I only managed to cut three times, finishing second and third twice. I'm not even sure if I should count one of those top 4s, as it was in a Victoria PC that only had twelve masters and a top 4 cut. Still, with how concentrated the BC community is with top players, I guess I can't be too down on myself for only cutting three times. Though that first tournament victory still eludes me...
It's been an okay start so far to the 2015 season, as I have three top 4 finishes that will likely find their way into my best five PC finishes. I'm just another guy who plays VGC so there's almost no chance I'm getting a Worlds invite, however, a Nationals stipend (assuming we even get those this season!) is something I can definitely earn and will strive towards that over the next year.
It's been an okay start so far to the 2015 season, as I have three top 4 finishes that will likely find their way into my best five PC finishes. I'm just another guy who plays VGC so there's almost no chance I'm getting a Worlds invite, however, a Nationals stipend (assuming we even get those this season!) is something I can definitely earn and will strive towards that over the next year.
I also - perhaps inexplicably! - found myself drafted in the NPA (NuggetBridge tournament with only some of the best 100+ or so players from around the world participating), and I ended up with a 2-1 record, which is all I can ask for, really. My two wins were against seniors Pokealex (has cut worlds twice, also Aaron Zheng's Worlds training partner in 2014) and Raikoo (former World's runner up, top 4 in worlds this year, and already has two regional victories in the 2015 season), and my loss being to Hibiki who I shamefully only know is a European Player and NuggetBridge translator... I'm sure he's done more, but I'm too lazy to actually look up his accomplishments!
I'll get into more detail on the NPA and the PCs in a separate post, this is just an overview of what I've done with this team. The focal point of this team is setting up a Belly Drum with Azumarill and sweeping with it, which is made easier by Aerodactyl's Sky Drop and Tailwind, as well as Mawile and Hydreigon covering most of the Pokemon that threaten Azumarill. Videos of the team in action will be in that separate post also!
---
I'll get into more detail on the NPA and the PCs in a separate post, this is just an overview of what I've done with this team. The focal point of this team is setting up a Belly Drum with Azumarill and sweeping with it, which is made easier by Aerodactyl's Sky Drop and Tailwind, as well as Mawile and Hydreigon covering most of the Pokemon that threaten Azumarill. Videos of the team in action will be in that separate post also!
---


Goddard (Manectric) (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power
- Overheat
- Protect
When I was learning VGC this past season, the mega I wanted to build around was Manectric. Because I was new to the format I didn't want to use Kangaskhan since I felt it would have been too easy to autopilot with it, and thus preventing me from actually learning anything. I just happened to really like Mega Manectric for whatever reason, even though I was never really too keen of it in RSE and its mega design is just so goofy looking (though perhaps this is why I like it so much!). I originally started with Manectric and Gyarados, and while Gyarados has since been replaced by Azumarill, I still wanted to use Manectric even if it was mostly for sentimental reasons.
Though it falls way behind other megas in terms of power, Manectric has a very distinct niche in the meta game with its superb coverage and two excellent abilities before and after mega evolution. Lightning Rod gives the Azudactyl duo more options, as well as preventing my Pokemon from getting paralyzed, and Intimidate is even more powerful when you consider Volt Switch and Manectric's chart-topping base 135 speed. The EV spread is simple, as is the moveset. I chose Volt Switch over Thunderbolt because it allows me to abuse Intimidate and allows me to switch into a better position after I OHKO Pokemon like Talonflame and Gyarados. It also has a fun trick it removing Aegislash's Substitute while also allowing me to threaten it the turn after with Hydreigon. However, being forced out has major downsides to it, as it leaves Manectric with zero consistent means of offense and leaving the Pokemon in the back vulnerable. This came into play in round 1 of our November 8th PC vs good friend Kelvin (who has a NuggetBridge account that I can't remember at the moment). He was down to a full health Azumarill and slightly weakened Rotom-H, while I had Manectric and a very low health Azumarill out with Hydreigon in the back. I had no way of hitting Azumarill for good damage without leaving my Hydreigon exposed (because Volt Switch doesn't OHKO Azumarill and his Rotom-H could very easily finish off my own Azumarill), so, I Volt Switch, failing to OHKO, as he KOes my Azumarill with Rotom and the switched in Hydreigon with Azumarill. In the end I was left with Manectric vs Rotom-H and Azumarill and lose the game, and miss cut also. Still, though, the benefits of Volt Switch far outweigh the downsides in my opinion, and I never once considered removing it in favor of Thunderbolt.
Admittedly, Manectric is the most expendable member of the team, simply because Mawile does far more and it's obviously a little silly to bring both to battles regularly. However, I've left Manectric on the team because I never got comfortable with alternatives like Rotom-Mow, Tyranitar, or Raichu. Manectric being in the first slot of Team Preview also plays some mind games as to which mega I'm going to bring, and it has prevented my opponents from bringing Talonflame and Gyarados altogether (both of which are very threatening if I don't bring Manectric).
When I was learning VGC this past season, the mega I wanted to build around was Manectric. Because I was new to the format I didn't want to use Kangaskhan since I felt it would have been too easy to autopilot with it, and thus preventing me from actually learning anything. I just happened to really like Mega Manectric for whatever reason, even though I was never really too keen of it in RSE and its mega design is just so goofy looking (though perhaps this is why I like it so much!). I originally started with Manectric and Gyarados, and while Gyarados has since been replaced by Azumarill, I still wanted to use Manectric even if it was mostly for sentimental reasons.
Though it falls way behind other megas in terms of power, Manectric has a very distinct niche in the meta game with its superb coverage and two excellent abilities before and after mega evolution. Lightning Rod gives the Azudactyl duo more options, as well as preventing my Pokemon from getting paralyzed, and Intimidate is even more powerful when you consider Volt Switch and Manectric's chart-topping base 135 speed. The EV spread is simple, as is the moveset. I chose Volt Switch over Thunderbolt because it allows me to abuse Intimidate and allows me to switch into a better position after I OHKO Pokemon like Talonflame and Gyarados. It also has a fun trick it removing Aegislash's Substitute while also allowing me to threaten it the turn after with Hydreigon. However, being forced out has major downsides to it, as it leaves Manectric with zero consistent means of offense and leaving the Pokemon in the back vulnerable. This came into play in round 1 of our November 8th PC vs good friend Kelvin (who has a NuggetBridge account that I can't remember at the moment). He was down to a full health Azumarill and slightly weakened Rotom-H, while I had Manectric and a very low health Azumarill out with Hydreigon in the back. I had no way of hitting Azumarill for good damage without leaving my Hydreigon exposed (because Volt Switch doesn't OHKO Azumarill and his Rotom-H could very easily finish off my own Azumarill), so, I Volt Switch, failing to OHKO, as he KOes my Azumarill with Rotom and the switched in Hydreigon with Azumarill. In the end I was left with Manectric vs Rotom-H and Azumarill and lose the game, and miss cut also. Still, though, the benefits of Volt Switch far outweigh the downsides in my opinion, and I never once considered removing it in favor of Thunderbolt.
Admittedly, Manectric is the most expendable member of the team, simply because Mawile does far more and it's obviously a little silly to bring both to battles regularly. However, I've left Manectric on the team because I never got comfortable with alternatives like Rotom-Mow, Tyranitar, or Raichu. Manectric being in the first slot of Team Preview also plays some mind games as to which mega I'm going to bring, and it has prevented my opponents from bringing Talonflame and Gyarados altogether (both of which are very threatening if I don't bring Manectric).
---

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 4 Def / 76 SDef / 116 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
Second mega on the team, and like Manectric, also synergizes very well with Azumarill and Hydreigon, the two Pokemon I bring the most. Mawile is the one thing that prevents me from getting swept by Kangaskhan and Fairies, and also provides Intimidate support before mega evolution (even though regular Mawile is absolutely dreadful and still takes a lot of damage from resisted hits). The moveset is standard, as while moves like Rock Slide and Fire Fang improve specific matchups, it leaves Mawile weaker against more Pokemon on the whole. Play Rough is mandatory STAB to hit ever present Dragons, Iron Head as a consistent, 100% accurate move that also hits troublesome Fairies and Mega Venusaur, and Sucker Punch for priority. I bring Mawile over Manectric every single time I see a Fairy not named Azumarill, or unless I'm convinced my opponent won't bring the Fairy, though this is dangerous to assume in a best of one set. 116 speed allows me to outrun Garchomp in Tailwind (and in general gives me plenty of confidence that I'm going to move first in mirror matchups), where as the rest of the EVs... I honestly don't remember what they do exactly. I know I wanted Mawile to be as versatile as possible, but that's all I can really say about the spread unfortunately! Despite being a late addition to the team Mawile is the mega I prefer to bring and not Manectric.
Second mega on the team, and like Manectric, also synergizes very well with Azumarill and Hydreigon, the two Pokemon I bring the most. Mawile is the one thing that prevents me from getting swept by Kangaskhan and Fairies, and also provides Intimidate support before mega evolution (even though regular Mawile is absolutely dreadful and still takes a lot of damage from resisted hits). The moveset is standard, as while moves like Rock Slide and Fire Fang improve specific matchups, it leaves Mawile weaker against more Pokemon on the whole. Play Rough is mandatory STAB to hit ever present Dragons, Iron Head as a consistent, 100% accurate move that also hits troublesome Fairies and Mega Venusaur, and Sucker Punch for priority. I bring Mawile over Manectric every single time I see a Fairy not named Azumarill, or unless I'm convinced my opponent won't bring the Fairy, though this is dangerous to assume in a best of one set. 116 speed allows me to outrun Garchomp in Tailwind (and in general gives me plenty of confidence that I'm going to move first in mirror matchups), where as the rest of the EVs... I honestly don't remember what they do exactly. I know I wanted Mawile to be as versatile as possible, but that's all I can really say about the spread unfortunately! Despite being a late addition to the team Mawile is the mega I prefer to bring and not Manectric.
---

DumUglyBunny (Azumarill) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Protect
The star of the show, one half of the main duo of the team, and the subject of many laughs because of its nickname (which, I guess I'll clarify here, was stolen from Matt Sybeldon's Gourgeist "DumbUglyMon". I thought the nickname was hilarious and I just used it for a Pokemon that I really like that also happens to have a terrible design). I know many people don't like Belly Drum Azumarill because they can't find opportunities to set up, however, this isn't the case for this team. Hydreigon and Mawile check many of the things that prevent Azumarill from setting up, and Aerodactyl's Sky Drop is more than enough to give me leeway to use Belly Drum. I'll get into more detail about the Azudactyl duo in Aerodactyl's section, because that Pokemon does far more than just help Azumarill set up. Max attack is mandatory to OHKO Kangaskhan and Garchomp with a +6 Aqua Jet and gives me the most offense when I can't set up, 44 speed outspeeds Hydreigon under Tailwind (I initially only really cared about outspeeding Ray's Wigglytuff with 36 speed, which speed ties Hydreigon under Tailwind, and this is kinda pointless, so I just took the 4 EVs in each defense and dumped them into speed), and the rest is in HP. Like Mawile, 44 speed gives me the confidence that I'm going to move first against other base 50s, which is imperative with Belly Drum. My team is honestly kinda weak to Mawile, and if I had to guess, the most common way I've KOed it is with a +6 Play Rough (despite the resist a +6 Play Rough will OHKO 252/4 Mega Mawile 15/16 times). I wouldn't be able to do this with regularity without all that speed on Azumarill.
The star of the show, one half of the main duo of the team, and the subject of many laughs because of its nickname (which, I guess I'll clarify here, was stolen from Matt Sybeldon's Gourgeist "DumbUglyMon". I thought the nickname was hilarious and I just used it for a Pokemon that I really like that also happens to have a terrible design). I know many people don't like Belly Drum Azumarill because they can't find opportunities to set up, however, this isn't the case for this team. Hydreigon and Mawile check many of the things that prevent Azumarill from setting up, and Aerodactyl's Sky Drop is more than enough to give me leeway to use Belly Drum. I'll get into more detail about the Azudactyl duo in Aerodactyl's section, because that Pokemon does far more than just help Azumarill set up. Max attack is mandatory to OHKO Kangaskhan and Garchomp with a +6 Aqua Jet and gives me the most offense when I can't set up, 44 speed outspeeds Hydreigon under Tailwind (I initially only really cared about outspeeding Ray's Wigglytuff with 36 speed, which speed ties Hydreigon under Tailwind, and this is kinda pointless, so I just took the 4 EVs in each defense and dumped them into speed), and the rest is in HP. Like Mawile, 44 speed gives me the confidence that I'm going to move first against other base 50s, which is imperative with Belly Drum. My team is honestly kinda weak to Mawile, and if I had to guess, the most common way I've KOed it is with a +6 Play Rough (despite the resist a +6 Play Rough will OHKO 252/4 Mega Mawile 15/16 times). I wouldn't be able to do this with regularity without all that speed on Azumarill.
---

Oppenheimer (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
Hydreigon has become a staple in the meta game, which is why I decided to use a very bland EV spread. I first started using Specs Hydreigon right around the time the Pokemon started picking up popularity, and at that time I could get away with lowering my speed stat to 140. However, because of how popular Hydreigon is now (and other things like Charizard that decide to drop their speed), max speed is mandatory for me, especially given how Life Orb Garchomp is becoming more popular (I have other options against Garchomp, anyway). I initially used a 12 HP / 4 Def / 236 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd spread to survive Garchomp's Dragon Claw 75% of the time, but I didn't like how I would sometimes leave my opponent with a sliver of HP, so in the end, I went with a simple 252/252 spread (the last 4 EVs are in Def and not HP to still give me a better chance to survive Garchomp's Dragon Claw, just not a very good percentage of the time). The moves are standard. I chose Fire Blast over Flamethrower to give me reliability to OHKO Careful Mawile, and I honestly just added Earth Power to hit Heatran on Battle Spot. If I had to change anything I would go with Flamethrower over Earth Power, because I've honestly never found myself in a situation where I wanted to hit Mawile in rain. This is probably an anomaly though, and I just use what I'm comfortable with, so I never changed the moves. Hydreigon is the one thing that prevents me from outright losing to Rotom and also helps greatly vs Mega Venusaur.
Hydreigon has become a staple in the meta game, which is why I decided to use a very bland EV spread. I first started using Specs Hydreigon right around the time the Pokemon started picking up popularity, and at that time I could get away with lowering my speed stat to 140. However, because of how popular Hydreigon is now (and other things like Charizard that decide to drop their speed), max speed is mandatory for me, especially given how Life Orb Garchomp is becoming more popular (I have other options against Garchomp, anyway). I initially used a 12 HP / 4 Def / 236 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd spread to survive Garchomp's Dragon Claw 75% of the time, but I didn't like how I would sometimes leave my opponent with a sliver of HP, so in the end, I went with a simple 252/252 spread (the last 4 EVs are in Def and not HP to still give me a better chance to survive Garchomp's Dragon Claw, just not a very good percentage of the time). The moves are standard. I chose Fire Blast over Flamethrower to give me reliability to OHKO Careful Mawile, and I honestly just added Earth Power to hit Heatran on Battle Spot. If I had to change anything I would go with Flamethrower over Earth Power, because I've honestly never found myself in a situation where I wanted to hit Mawile in rain. This is probably an anomaly though, and I just use what I'm comfortable with, so I never changed the moves. Hydreigon is the one thing that prevents me from outright losing to Rotom and also helps greatly vs Mega Venusaur.
---

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Sky Drop
- Tailwind
- Protect
The glue of the team, the main support that allows for Azumarill sweeps, and in general, gives the core of Azumarill/Hydreigon/Mawile better efficiency at trading blows. Sky Drop is a fantastic move on the team, as it can work like Fake Out that I can use as many times as I want, as with Aerodactyl's speed, I can eliminate an opponent for a turn, which gives me free chances to set up Belly Drum or set up favorable one on ones with my offensive power houses. To expand on the power of the Azudactyl duo, what makes this combo so effective is that it makes it mandatory for my opponent to have 2-3 hard stops to Belly Drum Azumarill. This is because I can Sky Drop their one counter to Azumarill, set up Belly Drum, and repeat the Sky Drop shenanigans while +6 Azumarill has free reign on my opponent's team. Even if they have multiple Azumarill counters it doesn't necessarily mean those Pokemon can handle Mawile and Hydreigon. For example, say my opponent leads with Mawile and Rotom against my standard lead of Azumarill and Aerodactyl. I can bait Mawile to not Protect, because, really, what does it have to fear from -1 Aero and Azu? In this situation I'll Sky Drop it and switch to Hydreigon. Because Sky Drop prevents Mawile from switching out or Protecting, I'm free to KO it while the worst that Rotom can do is knock Aerodactyl down to its Sash. Sky Drop can wreak havoc on unprepared opponents, but unfortunately can be all too easy to counter for those who know what I'm doing. Still, though, the very threat of having to face a +6 Azumarill forces my opponents to play a certain way, and it's not like I rely on setting up Belly Drum to make this team work. Beyond Azudactyl, I have a Tailwind mode for Hydreigon and Mawile, which isn't exactly something you can carelessly play around because of the sheer power that those two posses (Azumarill and its effective base 150 attack is the weakest attacker of that trio!). I don't even necessarily need all three turns of Tailwind for the move to be a threat, since just one turn is enough for a +6 Azumarill to run through what are normally counters, like Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur (Sky Drop + +6 Play Rough KOes Venusaur). I initially only used Aerodactyl to counter Sun teams, but stumbled upon a powerful play style and combo that I really enjoy playing with.
The glue of the team, the main support that allows for Azumarill sweeps, and in general, gives the core of Azumarill/Hydreigon/Mawile better efficiency at trading blows. Sky Drop is a fantastic move on the team, as it can work like Fake Out that I can use as many times as I want, as with Aerodactyl's speed, I can eliminate an opponent for a turn, which gives me free chances to set up Belly Drum or set up favorable one on ones with my offensive power houses. To expand on the power of the Azudactyl duo, what makes this combo so effective is that it makes it mandatory for my opponent to have 2-3 hard stops to Belly Drum Azumarill. This is because I can Sky Drop their one counter to Azumarill, set up Belly Drum, and repeat the Sky Drop shenanigans while +6 Azumarill has free reign on my opponent's team. Even if they have multiple Azumarill counters it doesn't necessarily mean those Pokemon can handle Mawile and Hydreigon. For example, say my opponent leads with Mawile and Rotom against my standard lead of Azumarill and Aerodactyl. I can bait Mawile to not Protect, because, really, what does it have to fear from -1 Aero and Azu? In this situation I'll Sky Drop it and switch to Hydreigon. Because Sky Drop prevents Mawile from switching out or Protecting, I'm free to KO it while the worst that Rotom can do is knock Aerodactyl down to its Sash. Sky Drop can wreak havoc on unprepared opponents, but unfortunately can be all too easy to counter for those who know what I'm doing. Still, though, the very threat of having to face a +6 Azumarill forces my opponents to play a certain way, and it's not like I rely on setting up Belly Drum to make this team work. Beyond Azudactyl, I have a Tailwind mode for Hydreigon and Mawile, which isn't exactly something you can carelessly play around because of the sheer power that those two posses (Azumarill and its effective base 150 attack is the weakest attacker of that trio!). I don't even necessarily need all three turns of Tailwind for the move to be a threat, since just one turn is enough for a +6 Azumarill to run through what are normally counters, like Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur (Sky Drop + +6 Play Rough KOes Venusaur). I initially only used Aerodactyl to counter Sun teams, but stumbled upon a powerful play style and combo that I really enjoy playing with.
---

Henrietta (Gothitelle) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Rest
- Protect
Gothitelle + Mawile is probably the most defining combo of the present meta game and is something I've managed to etch onto this team despite having zero Pokemon built specifically for Trick Room. I lose out on mirror matches, but fast Mawile is still plenty slow for Trick Room, and is an alternative mode I can play under to control Kangaskhan and Dragons. I can also beat other Trick Room teams with Gothitelle, as I don't rely on Trick Room with this team whereas others might, which leaves them exposed to getting hit and possibly and KOed before they can move. Gothitelle is also the one thing that prevents me from getting completely run over by Rain teams (though my rain matchup is still absolutely dreadful). The spread is standard and is something most people are familiar with by now; it survives Hydreigon's Choice Specs Dark Pulse, and the rest is thrown into Def. I honestly don't like Chesto Rest all that much, and the main reason I'm using it is that Azumarill is hogging the Sitrus Berry and Chesto Rest gives me more survivability than Leftovers.
Gothitelle + Mawile is probably the most defining combo of the present meta game and is something I've managed to etch onto this team despite having zero Pokemon built specifically for Trick Room. I lose out on mirror matches, but fast Mawile is still plenty slow for Trick Room, and is an alternative mode I can play under to control Kangaskhan and Dragons. I can also beat other Trick Room teams with Gothitelle, as I don't rely on Trick Room with this team whereas others might, which leaves them exposed to getting hit and possibly and KOed before they can move. Gothitelle is also the one thing that prevents me from getting completely run over by Rain teams (though my rain matchup is still absolutely dreadful). The spread is standard and is something most people are familiar with by now; it survives Hydreigon's Choice Specs Dark Pulse, and the rest is thrown into Def. I honestly don't like Chesto Rest all that much, and the main reason I'm using it is that Azumarill is hogging the Sitrus Berry and Chesto Rest gives me more survivability than Leftovers.
No comments:
Post a Comment